Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Scordatura ... Mac only

At least once a year I go through the old reflection: do I get a Mac.  It's been like that for years.  And as you already have guessed, I never get a Mac.  First of all, I don't feel like maintaining two platforms.  One is trouble enough.  Then there's the fact that Macs are too expensive for what they offer.  Well, that's true of any Apple product I guess.

It's not the machine, it's the software!  As a musician I don't care about how cute a Mac is, it's the darn software for it that gets me excited.  So, here's a new one that has just popped up.  If you're into microtonal music, you can't ignore it: Scordatura.

Here's how they put it: 

"Get microtonal music out of Finale, Sibelius, Logic, etc.
Use your standard controllers to make microtonal music.
Design your own custom microtonal MIDI control surfaces."

It's made by H-Pi, makers of the Tonal Plexus microtonal keyboards.  I can't talk about the product as I don't have a Mac.  But it sure triggers the dilemma again!  If you do have a mac, be sure to try it, it's a free beta download!

http://www.h-pi.com/SCRDsoftware.html

No comments: